How the blog works

The poems on this blog are mostly written on the basis of my historical reading and are intended to be both educational and entertaining.
Recently I have also begun posting some of my work with Anglo-Saxon charms. This work is somewhat speculative and is conducted as an amateur researcher and keen Pagan historian.

Please feel free to use anything on this site as a resource if you think that it may be relevant to your needs.

Saturday 16 November 2013

Portal Active

Introduction

This poem draws on the ritual of the lessor banishing pentagram by Eliphas Levi together with the work of Dr John Dee and his assistant Edward Kelly.

John Dee is possibly England's most under sung hero having been the magician in the court of Queen Elizabeth, he used astrology to determine the date of the queen's coronation. He advised as to voyages of discovery and set out the case in international law for England to start an empire in the Americas and advocated the strengthening of the navy to serve the empire. He is arguably the father of the British Empire. He was a polymath who's skills led him to instructing our navel captains and officers in the art of navigation and cartography. He also developed a system of rituals used to communicate with angels known as Enochian Magic.

This poem combines these two types of angel magic, the strange words are from the ritual of the lessor banishing pentagram, these are in Aramaic and are translated in the following line. As in Enochian the poem is to be intoned when read, as if you are casting your voice to infinity especially when calling the angels or intoning the Aramaic.

Portal Active

Arise Dr. John Dee, I call on thee,
Magician thee be, to the highest degree.
EH-HEH-YAY, the ipsissimus am I,
Summon the angels, come down from the sky.

Draw down the spirit, with crystal containment,
The forty nine gates, there for attainment.
Draw back the curtain, rend it asunder,
Invoke the guardians, call them with thunder.

Thou angels of truth, return from afar,
Cry A-TEH, MAL-KUTH, VE-GE-VU-RAH.
Thou art the kingdom, and the power,
I call upon thee, to guard the watchtower.

I call from afar, the power of ten,
Tone VE-GE-DU-LAH, LE-OLAHM A-MEN.
The glory forever, so mote it be,
Arise Edward Kelly, and assist me.

Thou spirits obey, the five pointed star,
YAH-WEH AH-DOH-NYE, EH-HEH-YAY AH-GLAH.
Oh Divinity, glory to thee oh Lord,
Abide by my charge, take heed of my sword.

RA-PHA-EL before me, bearing his blade,
Draw closer I command thee, to my aid.
GA-BRI-EL behind, with silver chalice,
Stand at my quarter, guard me from malice.

MI-CHA-EL to the right, with the red wand,
I call upon thee, I give thee my bond.
AU-RI-EL to left, with white pentagram,
With thee at my side, protected I am.

On a sphere of light, watch towers in place,
The banishing rite, the circle to trace.
Standing here safe, flaming stars around,
The hexagram over, the power bound.

Copyright Andrew Rea 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment