How the blog works

The poems on this blog are mostly written on the basis of my historical reading and are intended to be both educational and entertaining.
Recently I have also begun posting some of my work with Anglo-Saxon charms. This work is somewhat speculative and is conducted as an amateur researcher and keen Pagan historian.

Please feel free to use anything on this site as a resource if you think that it may be relevant to your needs.

Saturday 25 January 2014

Evocation of John Barleycorn

Evocation of John Barleycorn

By the firm earth beneath my roots.
By the sap rising in my long shank,
By the breeze in my supple sheaves,
By the fullness of my cornels,
By the might of my burly beard,
I here stand proud before thee.

Standing tall and straight, thee do me adore,
Sudden end with sharp blade, as if to war.
My neck wilt be cut, with greatest of care,
My spirit set free, by they who doth dare.

With a flying scythe, falling to the ground,
Into a great sheaf, to be twisted and bound.
To be poured from a jug, into a long horn,
To be reborn as ale, thee shalt not mourn.


Copyright Andrew Rea July 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment